Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Paige-eroo

My pregnancy with Paige was different than Ryan's and so was her birth. I was due on the 9th and I was scheduled to be induced on the 11th. I was hoping she would come on her own since I was induced with Ryan as well, but that didn't happen and I was ok with that.
Chris and I got to McKay Dee Hospital around 7:15 am and got things rolling. I got really nervous when I put on my gown, I guess it just hit me that this was the last of a lot of things but the start of so many others. Chris and I hugged and embraced the moment, it was perfect. I loved my nurses-they were so sweet and just did a great job. Barb started the pitocin around 8:30 and Dr. Spencer broke my water at 9:30. He asked me what time I was gonna have the baby and I said 12:30. He said ok and that he'd be back then. haha...that didn't happen. Well, I got my epidural shortly after my water was broken and I don't know why but it didn't really help much. I was feeling a lot of my contractions and at one point it was so bad I was bawling. I didn't sign up for this pain...some people can do it but not me. I've never taken any type of prenatal class or even looked at any natural birthing books so I was clueless with any techniques to use. The only thing I did was picture this scene until it was all over. It kind of helped actually.
Kind of. After the contractions died down a little I got another dose of the epidural and the pitocin was turned off. By that point I was dilated to a 10 but I couldn't push because I couldn't feel a thing! Nurse Debbie(switched Barb) called Dr. Spencer to just give him a heads up and 15 min later he was at the hospital and 5 minutes later with 2 pushes Paige was born!

My in-laws got to the hospital right when Dr. Spencer got there so it was perfect timing! Shirley and my Mom were at Ryan's birth as well and I'm glad they were able to see Paige born as well. What a fun experience for a grandma!

One thing that I really really loved that I didn't get to experience with Ryan was holding Paige on my chest right after she was born. That was soo neat, and I just felt this overwhelming love for her right away. Of course I felt that for Ryan as well--but because he wasn't breathing well and was sent to NICU for a week it was stressful from the second he was born. We're so glad that Paige had no complications and we came home the next day. Chris took off on Monday and then had off on Friday. It's been quite the adjustment having 2 kids and 3 1/2 weeks later I still haven't figured it all out. I guess moving and Chris starting school within that time makes things a little crazier than normal. I'm just thankful for our families who have helped us soo much. We couldn't have done it without each of them.

No comments: