Sunday, September 26, 2010

D.C Trip: Day 2 Part 1

Day 2: part 1
I had been planning this trip for a few months and so I had everything organized. Appointments, times, walking distance, tickets, phone numbers, EVERYTHING. At least for the first day, because that was our busiest, most planned day. I had made an appointment to do a capital tour through our state senators office because Dawn suggested it would be more personal and easier to plan for. We're so glad we did! It was just the two of us and our guide. I don't remember ever going to the capital so it was super fun for me. Chris had gone in high school, but of course enjoys all of that history, politics stuff so he had a blast too. We packed our lunch so after our tour and a few pictures we sat on a bench behind the capital and ate. And fed this squirrel gold fish.

We then walked to the Washington Monument. You have to get tickets in the morning, wait in line with a million other people and hope that you get the tickets. Or, you can buy them ahead of time online for a $1(they are usually free). I'm SOO glad I bought them ahead of time because the tickets were already gone when we got there at 1. We wouldn't have been able to wait in line in the morning because of our Capital appointment.




Each state is allowed 2 statues in the Capital. In the new center all the statues have to be made of bronze. Utah's two statues are Philo Farnsworth, inventor of the television--thank you! The other is Brigham Young--former LDS Prophet, colonizer and founder of SLC.


The Ronald Reagan Statue has actual pieces of the Berlin Wall on it. (the rocks between the two main layers)

The Rotunda. Simply Beautiful!




These pictures aren't super clear because the windows of the WM are old and have a muggy tint to them. What a cool view of the city though. I think it's over 500 feet tall.

After the WM we went to the Holocaust Museum. No pictures allowed except in a few places. We spent 3 1/2 hours here. I've been before but when I was younger so I didn't remember a ton. It's weird to say that I love this museum, but it's so well made. It's emotional and spiritual at the same time.

No comments: