Saturday, August 22, 2009

What would we do without....

CHEESE??
Today we drove about 1 1/2 hours to get to Heini's Cheese Factory. The drive was beautiful, but the roads were very windy(did I spell that right?? It's late) so I was glad when we got there. We first got a little background on how the cheese was made (blurry picture, could only take pictures through the glass.)
Then we waited in line(yes, a line out the door ) to sample all the cheese that they make....I'm talking like 30+ different types of cheeses and best of all, different flavors of cream cheese fudge. Mint, chocolate, orange, peanut butter, and the list goes on. YUMMY! We were in the heart of Amish country, the tour guide told us that Amish do not own this cheese factory, but the factory buys their milk from the Amish for pretty cheap. He said they don't believe in making a lot of money anyway so it works for the both of them. A lady that was doing some shopping right next to us but was not part of the tour leaned over to us and said "Oh, I hope they aren't taking advantage of those poor Amish people." Chris and I just looked at each other like they're not you crazy lady!
(not supposed to take pictures of them...but I just had to have one!)
After we left my dad wanted to go to this wood factory, but we had already made plans to go to the John Johnston farm which was about another hour away in the opposite direction. All that cheese mixed with windy roads did not make me feel well. I swear we were lost and sure enough we took a couple of circles and then the GPS guided us to a dead end road. Mom was sure that the GPS was going to get us to the right destination, but I was having my doubts. I thought we would never get out of this place....but we did and I'm so glad because the John Johnson farm was so worth it.

No comments: