Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Doug's Birthday

Although my memories of us are few, I always remember you on your birthday. I was driving in my car alone today and I couldn't help but feel like you really know who I am, and that you're a part of my life. It was such a sweet and comforting feeling.
Mom's Texas Sheet Cake
Still a favorite of mine :)
Texas Sheet Cake 
 2 c. flour 
 2 c. sugar 
 1 t. baking soda 
 pinch of salt 
1 c. (2 sticks) butter 
1 c. water 
¼ c. cocoa 
½ c. sour cream (or milk) 
2 beaten eggs 
Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. 
Combine butter, water and cocoa and bring to a boil (I use microwave) then pour over sugar/flour mixture and beat well. 
Add sour cream or milk, eggs, soda, vanilla and salt to the above and mix well. 
Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (abt. 11x17) 
Bake at 375 for 15-20 min. 
While cake bakes make frosting and spread on hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
 Frosting 
1 stick butter
 ¼ c. cocoa 
1/3 c. milk 
1 lb. powdered sugar 
1 t. vanilla 
1 c. walnuts, chopped (optional) 
Bring butter, cocoa and milk just to a boil in the microwave, then pour over powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth then add vanilla and nuts. Spread on hot cake.

No comments: