Saturday, May 1, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese


No real reason for me to post this other than I was fixing dinner the other night and I was waiting to add these two ingredients and I thought that the colors just looked so pretty! So I might as well post the recipe because we love this dish and so does Ryan. Any way we can get veggies into this kid is a miracle!
Chicken Divan
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts(6-8 oz each)
salt and pepper
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups instant white rice
2 (10 oz) pkgs frozen broccoli spears, thawed and chopped medium
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
36 Ritz crackers (1 sleeve), crushed to coarse crumbs (1 1/2 cups)
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat the oven to 450. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, then cut into 2-in chunks. Spread in a 9-13in dish and season with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk the cream, broth and mustard together in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high until boiling, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir the rice into the cream mixture, then pour over the chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
4. Pat the broccoli dry, then stir with the cheddar into the baking dish. Sprinkle the Ritz crumbs over the top. Continue to bake until the edges are bubbling and the crumbs are browned, 5-10 minutes. Yum!
Two tips: make sure you use the sharp cheese because it won't taste as good with medium...did that the first time I made this. Second, you have to use the instant white rice in this recipe.

No comments: